Tuesday, June 1, 2010

What do Consultants and Preschool Graduation have in common?

Until last week I figured nothing at all. Turns out, both will take 1.5 hours of your time to give you 90% of what you already know, and maybe rouse some emotions along the way.

We had our kickoff meeting with our adoption consultant last week, a very sweet & long-winded mother of both a biological daughter and adopted son. She has devoted her life to doing what she loves - talking - mostly about adoption, but could also probably win a contest for rabbit-trailblazing / tangent creation. I am now fully versed in the adoption process, am a little spooked about the mischief birthmoms tend to get in to, and know more about scrapbooking than I ever cared to (we have to make a family portfolio).

Then 2 days later I attended our oldest son's "graduation" from preschool. Who knew they made little blue caps & gowns that small? Brought back fond memories of my days glued to The Smurfs, but I digress. You see, like a consultant does, preschool graduation also 'borrows your watch to tell you what time it is', but unlike consultants, this engagement is not optional but mandatory. They haul parents into a gym so they can borrow your kid, put them up on stage, and have them recite a song or prayer that the child has already worn you down with for months at home. However, like a consulting engagement this too was very emotionally charged and sure to bring about some short-run positive change around Poppen Inc.

If I wanted someone to use up my time to show me something I'm already aware of, I would've just hired a consultant.

By: Doug Poppen

No comments:

Post a Comment