Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Have you ever embarrassed yourself?

I'm not talking about falling down in front of a crowd, or having to do the chicken dance at a wedding. I'm talking about finding yourself doing something that, unbenonced to anyone else, makes you feel embarrassed (maybe even sorry) for yourself?

This weekend we ventured to Knoxville to attend our niece's first dance recital. Growing up with an extended family absent of any females my age, this was a personal first for me. Let's just say that going in I was far from bullish about the event. I tried not to think about it the week prior so as to not depress myself.

After the first 30 minutes I was thoroughly enjoying myself, and by the end of the night I may have been having more fun than anyone there. I was embarrassed - for myself. I mean seriously. A dance recital? I wasn't about to tell anyone how much fun I was having for fear of letting anyone else in on the embarrassment.

I'm pathetic. My cheeks are still red. But I'll tell you what, I'm a lot more ready to adopt a girl than I thought I was a week ago. DP

1 comment: